[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Maintainership, and whiners...

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Maintainership, and whiners...
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:13:36 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> BTW, have you used mercurial for real?  When I tried it out, it didn't
> seem to handle file-renaming in any sane manner (as far as I could
> tell, it just modelled renaming as add+delete, which utterly destroys
> merging), and that's a pretty fatal flaw.

Don't know about mercurial, but AFAIK, git manages renames as
add+delete, and this is a deliberate choice: Torvalds considered that
moving a file was only a particular case of moving some code, and that
an SCM should be able to manage the general case.

I'm not sure I agree with this, but that's what I've read about it.

--
Matthieu