Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...

From: Mark Flacy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 01:46:54 +0000

On 2005.10.13 20:06, Martin Langhoff wrote:

This was tested extensively with kernel dev trees, which have some nasty merges with very convoluted ancestries. I guess that one of the reasons that the monsters in the dark that Tom talks about don't worry me is... if anyone has a collection of freak corner cases for merges, and low tolerance for the scm dropping the ball, it's the linux kernel project.

If they don't get bitten by the dragons, what are the chances that my
puny projects will?

Because there are things that you would do in another language (say Java) that you wouldn't do in C.

For instance, I just might refactor some public class into two new classes, splitting the original file into two others. I'll rename the original public class to something else, which will require the file to be renamed to match. Most of the work done by the original class is now performed by the other new class that is package private but is nonetheless in a new file. Most of the old lines of code would end up in the package private class. I would consider the public class to be the true decendant of the original, despite the fact that it would contain fewer lines of the original code.

I'd be amazed if the guessing algorithm the kernel team uses would get that correct.