Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...

From: Martin Langhoff
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:16:21 +1300

On 10/13/05, David Allouche <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 18:07 +1300, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> > Strange. Are you unhappy with the "new generation" SCMs that came
> > forward in the time around the bitkeeper fiasco or soon after? Why?
> > I'm personally really impressed with git/cogito and mercurial. Darcs
> > and BazaarNG are also interesting, but as I've been burned with
> > patch-tracking SCMs...
>
> There seems to be a misconception here.
>
> BazaarNG is much closer to Mercurial than to Darcs. Actually,
> model-wise, BazaarNG and Mercurial are pretty much exchangeable. I
> suspect the (publicly conducted) BazaarNG design phase was quite
> influential to Mercurial.

Well, I followed Martin Poole's work on BazaarNG up until the point
where git saw its first few releases, and BazaarNG was definitely
patch-oriented back then. And Mercurial was tracking each and every
move of git but in Python.

Next time I look at BazaarNG, there's all this love of tracking file
identities, and I can't fathom where it came from ;-)

Anyway... I'm sure there's been heaps of cross pollination, and I'm
don't necesarily know what influenced who and when. But one thing I'm
sure: BazaarNG started off tracking patches, following perhaps the
steps tla/baz and darcs.

cheers,

martin