[Gnu-music-discuss] Missing legal.ly, beam questions, padding...

From: Scott Ballantyne
Subject: [Gnu-music-discuss] Missing legal.ly, beam questions, padding...
Date: 12 Sep 2000 18:17:04 -0000

There is no legal.ly in the ly directory:

--------
% legal.ly

hsize = 8.5 \in;
vsize = 14.0 \in;
---------------

seems to work.

Beaming:
I have two situations where I need different beaming, but I can't seem
to communicate this to lily:

      \time 3/4;
      [e d~] [d16()e8 bf16(] [)f'8 \times 2/3 {g16( a b}] |

      I need the beams to be

        ---
      -----
         3

But instead they are:

       - --
     ------
        3

i.e., implying a subdivision of 2+2+2 rather than 3+3.

The other one is similar:

      a8()d,4 d'8 [c16( \times 2/3 {b32 cs b} a16 )g] |

        ---
      -------
      -------

Is what I need, but again I get:

        - --
      -------
      -------

i.e.: implying 2+2+2 for the 32nd note triplet, rather than the 3
grouping that is desired.

There doesn't seem to be anyway to indicate how one wants these inner
beams done, I have auto beaming turned off, but adding []'s inside of
[]'s gives a warning 'already has a beam' and, in the second case,
leads to worse results. These seems to me to be an important problem,
since it's not just a question of  'prettiness', but actually affects
how the music will be performed.

----------

I'm following the coriolan-part numbers for padding, but there are
some problems. When the line starts with a bass clef, the measure
numbers are fine. When the line begins with a treble clef, they need
to be raised, since the treble clef  prints over the number. But with
padding, the opposite situation occurs, the numbers are too high when
the bass clef is there.

Some other, more serious issues still involve dynamics and leger
lines. The spacing of cresc/dim markers look good, except when there
are notes beneath the staff. Then the dim/cresc gets printed
'underneath' the notes, makeing it difficult to read. Is there a way
to affect these things only with ledger lines? Some kind of 'pad when
notes off of the staff' kind of property?

Well, this is long, I'm sorry. As always, I'm grateful for any help.

Thanks,
sdb
--
address@hidden