Re: [Gnu-music-discuss] Missing legal.ly, beam questions, padding...

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: [Gnu-music-discuss] Missing legal.ly, beam questions, padding...
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:59:52 +0200 (CEST)

address@hidden writes:
> From: Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > address@hidden writes:
> > > You could set the property separately for the different
> > > staff lines (hope you don't have too many clef changes
> > > in the parts). Of course, Lilypond should take the
> > > clef into account when it calculates the spacing.
> >
> > I'm not sure if that's a very good solution: storing pointers to the
> > clefs will cost a fair amount of memory, especially on large scores
> > (roughly #staffs * #measures * 24 bytes). Maybe we should just
> > increase the default padding?
> >

> Why can't the bounding box, or whatever it's called in metafont,
> simply be used when type setting the bar numbers? Or for that matter,
> placing marks above or below the staff?

It can, but that means that every bar-number object in the score must
have pointers to all clefs (yes, all of them, you don't know in
advance which one is on top), which takes a lot of memory. Remember
that there is a bar-number on *every* barline (albeit not always
visible), even if the barline is not at the start of the line.

Writing this down, I realize that I can do a neat hack: make a spanner
that constructs bar numbers in the right places, and simply reads the
numbers/marks from the columns: that would save us lots of graphic
objects, but you trade that in for a loss in flexibility.

I could even take this one step further, and make a spanner for
all objects at the start of the line (clefs, key sigs).