still newbie

From: Atte André Jensen
Subject: still newbie
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 13:17:53 +0200 (CEST)

Hi

I installed lilypond 1.3.84 (and guile 1.4) from the rpm's found on the
lilypond homepage, but I still haven't been able to test my setup, because
I don't have a working .ly file. I downloaded the mable.ly (Mable Leaf
Rag) from the mutopia archive but running "lilypond mable.ly" it gives me:

Parsing..
maple.ly:23:11: error: parse error, expecting `SCM_IDENTIFIER':
   \key as;

maple.ly:33:12: error: parse error, expecting `SCM_IDENTIFIER':
   \key des;

maple.ly:36:11: error: parse error, expecting `SCM_IDENTIFIER':
   \key as;

Bad luck! So I tried the wtk-fugue2.ly (Bach Fugue in c-min) which
complained about the version of mudela so I converted it with
"convert-mudela -t 1.3.84" and ran lilypond on the output. Gave me a .tex
file which I ran into latex and got:

! LaTeX Error: The font size command \normalsize is not defined:
               there is probably something wrong with the class file.

So I tried "lilypond -f ps" on the version cenverted .ly file instead and
got a postscript file which looked pretty, exept the text in the top was
missing and it didn't break the page so only what fitted page one was
visible.

Then I converted an .abc file with abc2ly and ran "lilypond -f ps" (the
tex file produced by lilypond hung latex) and the output .ps file looked
ok, exept for the text at the top was missing and some line breaking was
lost. Plus I expected the chords to be above the music. And It didn't like
my ° for diminished, so it just left it out.

As you might guess I haven't typed one letter lilypond yet, since I don't
know if my system is proberly setup yet. So I somebody would mail me a
lilypond file known to work with my version of lilypond I'd be happy. And
if you would care to look at the input files described above I've uploaded
them on

http://hjem.get2net.dk/atte/test.html

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

BTW: Does it make sense to just run "lilypond -f ps file.ly" all the
time to get postscript directly or should I rather go over the .tex and
.dvi file-route??

And what should I think of the feta-somthing.tfm and .600pk files
generated in the working directory??
--
Atte André Jensen