Re: still newbie

From: Atte André Jensen
Subject: Re: still newbie
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 14:42:49 +0200 (CEST)

On 14 Oct 2000, Laura Conrad wrote:

>     Atte> I installed lilypond 1.3.84 (and guile 1.4) from the rpm's
>     Atte> found on the lilypond homepage, but I still haven't been
>     Atte> able to test my setup, because I don't have a working .ly
>     Atte> file.
>
> I always use twinkle.ly.  If you're installing from rpm, I think you
> need the lilypond-documentation rpm, and it comes in
> /usr/doc/lilypond<version>.  If you install from source, it's in
> lilypond<version>/input.

Just downloaded and installed that. I'll take the liberty to send you my
ps output from that offlist (12K), hope it's ok... It look's
...hmm... well not exactly ready for publishing right there :-)

>     Atte> So I tried "lilypond -f ps" on the version cenverted .ly
>     Atte> file instead and got a postscript file which looked pretty,
>     Atte> exept the text in the top was missing
>
> This is probably the letter/a4 paper problem.  You need to get
> ghostscript configured to know that you want a4.  I think the way to
> do that might be to edit /usr/share/ghostscript/<version>/gs_init.ps.

Well now I changed it from inside ghostview (state/gv Options/paper size
+ save) and from now on gv opens with paper size A4. Still the text at the
top is missing. There is left space for it though, so I don't think it's
clipped, just looks like the text is piped down /dev/null :-(

>     Atte> Then I converted an .abc file with abc2ly and ran "lilypond
>     Atte> -f ps" (the tex file produced by lilypond hung latex) and
>     Atte> the output .ps file looked ok, exept for the text at the top
>     Atte> was missing and some line breaking was lost.
>
> The line breaking is not preserved in the current version of abc2ps.
> I personally don't want it to be, because I think either lilypond or
> abc2ps is able to make better decisions about what the length of the
> line is than I can typing from a 16th century facsimile, but it should
> probably be an option in a future version.

Ok, makes sense. But in this case I wanna break the lines. It's fairly
common in jazz to have 4 bars (or 2 or 8 in special cases) per line. But I
guess that's tweaking by hand.

>     Atte> Plus I expected the chords to be above the music. And It
>     Atte> didn't like my ° for diminished, so it just left it out.
>
> How are you entering that in the ABC?  I'll look at what abc2ly does
> about chords.

Well I just put the ° symbol right there like this "C°" for a C
diminished.

>     Atte> And what should I think of the feta-somthing.tfm and .600pk files
>     Atte> generated in the working directory??
>
> I figured this one out only yesterday.  (With help from Matt.)  You
> want to make a link from /usr/share/texmf/fonts/public/lilypond to the
> lilypond mf directory (in my case /usr/local/share/lilypond/mf, but with an
> rpm it's probably /usr/share/lilypond/mf).

So I created a dir "public" in /usr/share/texmf/fonts and ran

ln -s /usr/share/lilypond/mf /usr/share/texmf/fonts/public/lilypond

as root but nothing changed. Guess that's not what you meant?

> And you want to make sure
> that MFINPUTS isn't set.

Where? In my .bashrc?

> I'll send you the current abc2ly (which I made some changes to that
> got into 3.95) off list.

Ok...
--
Atte André Jensen