Re: still newbie

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: still newbie
Date: 14 Oct 2000 07:37:51 -0400

    Atte> I installed lilypond 1.3.84 (and guile 1.4) from the rpm's
    Atte> found on the lilypond homepage, but I still haven't been
    Atte> able to test my setup, because I don't have a working .ly
    Atte> file.

I always use twinkle.ly.  If you're installing from rpm, I think you
need the lilypond-documentation rpm, and it comes in
/usr/doc/lilypond<version>.  If you install from source, it's in
lilypond<version>/input.

    Atte> So I tried "lilypond -f ps" on the version cenverted .ly
    Atte> file instead and got a postscript file which looked pretty,
    Atte> exept the text in the top was missing

This is probably the letter/a4 paper problem.  You need to get
ghostscript configured to know that you want a4.  I think the way to
do that might be to edit /usr/share/ghostscript/<version>/gs_init.ps.

    Atte> Then I converted an .abc file with abc2ly and ran "lilypond
    Atte> -f ps" (the tex file produced by lilypond hung latex) and
    Atte> the output .ps file looked ok, exept for the text at the top
    Atte> was missing and some line breaking was lost.

The line breaking is not preserved in the current version of abc2ps.
I personally don't want it to be, because I think either lilypond or
abc2ps is able to make better decisions about what the length of the
line is than I can typing from a 16th century facsimile, but it should
probably be an option in a future version.

    Atte> Plus I expected the chords to be above the music. And It
    Atte> didn't like my ° for diminished, so it just left it out.

How are you entering that in the ABC?  I'll look at what abc2ly does
about chords.

    Atte> And what should I think of the feta-somthing.tfm and .600pk files
    Atte> generated in the working directory??

I figured this one out only yesterday.  (With help from Matt.)  You
want to make a link from /usr/share/texmf/fonts/public/lilypond to the
lilypond mf directory (in my case /usr/local/share/lilypond/mf, but with an
rpm it's probably /usr/share/lilypond/mf).  And you want to make sure
that MFINPUTS isn't set.  And then the feta* files will be generated
in a central location instead of in the directory with the .ly files.

I'll send you the current abc2ly (which I made some changes to that
got into 3.95) off list.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139