Re: Maintenance of the Hurd parts in glibc (was: about GNU Hurd)

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Maintenance of the Hurd parts in glibc (was: about GNU Hurd)
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 20:43:38 +0200 (CEST)

   > Maybe we need to add another Hurd maintainer who will devote more
   > time to this.  Is there someone who would like to volunteer?

   I've already been proposing this two or three times to Roland
   McGrath, that Samuel Thibault and I would like to help in that
   area.

Maintainership is a burden, and adding yet another person to the stew
will make it worse as well; specially when that persons time could be
spent on something far more exciting like coding.

I suggest that a completely neutral person becomes the maintainer,
Richard if he has the time, maybe Karl, or maybe someone at the FSF
HQ.  That persons job would be to set a direction, not write code for
the Hurd; there is absolutley no person right now who is capable of
doing that, one of the reasons is too many chefs, another reason is
personal interests invested in the project.

   Unfortunately I didn't get any answer so far.  I absolutely do not
   intend to be demanding towards the glibc maintainers, but we
   currently (last year or so) don't even get simple keep-it-building
   patches applied.

Seeing that nobody has sent a single Hurd related patch to the libc
mailing lists, that should be no suprise.  The libc maintainers don't
even have time to look through the bug reports related to GNU/Linux on
x86 which is the most popular platform.  See Roland's complaint just a
few weeks ago for example.