Funding (was: about GNU Hurd)

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Funding (was: about GNU Hurd)
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 02:46:35 +0200

Hello!

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 07:50:00PM +0200, Claudio Fontana wrote:
> On 7/25/07, Stephan Peijnik <address@hidden> wrote:
> > In my opinion, what the Hurd needs right now, and first of all, is
> > a maintainer which applies patches and, once that works, some sort of
> > advertising to attract new hackers.
>
> About the last part, maybe some kind of "bounty" could be set up?
> As this is hard work, and maybe not immediately rewarding, maybe
> some tangible monetary reward on a per-feature or per-milestone
> basis could attract new hackers?

We have -- albeit only very, very lightly -- been talking about such a
system when meeting at this year's FOSDEM in Belgium in February 2007.
But nobody was really familiar with how this could or should be done so
nothing was accomplished so far.

> I am not familiar with the Hurd and its development status, and do not
> feel able to contribute to its development directly, but I am able to offer a
> moderate bounty for a stable, GPLv3, more or less drop-in replacement
> of the Linux kernel to complete the GNU system, that boots on a decent
> amount of commodity hardware.

Sounds like a lot of work.  Fun work.  Time-consuming work.  Interesting
work!

> I was thinking about 5000 CHF (~4100 USD) I am able to donate myself,
> and maybe someone else could join me in this.

Thank you (and the others who followed-up, of course!) for this generous
offer!  As Richard already stated, we can't realize such a thing
immediatelly, but we will definitely consider if we can carry your
proposals into execution.

Regards,
 Thomas