Re: about GNU Hurd

From: Alfredo Beaumont
Subject: Re: about GNU Hurd
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:47:20 +0200

Ar, 2007eko Uztren 31a(e)an, Gianluca Guida(e)k idatzi zuen:
> Most of the people I know in the Hurd community are either at
> university or already have a job and contribute to the Hurd in their
> spare time (I am exactly in the middle of this rough generalization
> right now, but I am a well known slacker). To both of these kind of
> people you can't just ask to work six full months on a project,
> because they just can't get rid of their current life. Anyways I am
> generalizing here, I just wanted to point that IMHO money, while
> appreciated, aren't the immediate and easy answer for 'the Hurd
> problem'.

I disagree. In my case for example, I have a part time job because I like to
invest most of my time on hacking. So, apart from lack of technical skills, I
wouldn't have any problem to work a year part time on it. I guess other
people may have similar situations: students finishing university and looking
for a first job that can invest some months on Hurd hacking or whatever.

Anyway, I agree with you that this is not the immediate and easy answer
for 'the Hurd problem'. As already pointed by other people, having an
involved and community attractive maintainer is far more important.

Just my opinion too :-)
--
Alfredo Beaumont Sainz
http://www.alfredobeaumont.org/blog.cgi