Re: Maintenance of the Hurd parts in glibc (was: about GNU Hurd)

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: Maintenance of the Hurd parts in glibc (was: about GNU Hurd)
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 01:43:31 +0200

Hello!

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 11:03:53PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 02:37:35PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> > Did anyone try to get keep-it-building patches applied to glibc during
> > the last year?  If so, how did they communicate these patches to the
> > glibc developers?

I have been discussing Hurd-related glibc patches on the
<address@hidden> mailing list, and always cced the patches directly to
Roland (being the Hurd parts' glibc maintainer) as I got the feeling that
he didn't always monitor this bug-hurd mailing list really closely.  But
if that's fine now and posting (and discussing) the patches directly to /
on <address@hidden> is the way to go then that's fine for me,
of course.

> Samuel Thibault (who did most of the glibc work over the last year, most
> notably TLS support) just posted his (and some of Thomas Schwinge's)
> patches at libc-alpha, and Roland McGrath promptly committed them, so
> this issue is resolved.  Before, patches were put into the glibc
> bugzilla, which did not work out as well.   Thanks to Alfred for
> pointing out this communication issue.

I wouldn't say there has been a communication issue before.

Registering patches in the glibc bugzilla had been made a requirement by
the glibc (release) maintainers to get them into the non-HEAD branches,
and since that was to a large share what we've been working on, this
seemed the most suitable way to publish them, additionally to having
published them on the bug-hurd mailing list.

But if Roland now can take the time to care for and comment on the
Hurd-related patches by having them posted to libc-alpha or directly to
him or whatever (just tell us!) then that's fine.

Regards,
 Thomas