Re: about GNU Hurd

From: Gianluca Guida
Subject: Re: about GNU Hurd
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:22:30 +0200

On Jul 31, 2007, at 7:50 PM, Michael Heath wrote:

I don't think so. Google's SoC is designed to help finance one student to work on a specific task within a project. With a Hurd- specific fund, you would be able to to choose specifically where to spend the money for it to be the most beneficial to the Hurd. You'd also be able to finance work by developers who may not be elligible for SoC. It's a completely different system.

What I think Michael (Banck) meant here, or at least the reason why I agreed with him is by reading his mail is: "let see how much supportive the hurd community can get to people effectively working on a paid, time-based schedule. And let be sure to find the right guys to do that." If our students fail, that will mean that before throwing other people money the Hurd community will need to organize itself better, be clear on what the goals are, getting rid of some funny hatred between people, etc. If you know the Hurd community, you know what I mean here.

Personally, but I might state the obvious here, I don't think money can be a good motivation by itself for working hard on a project. But it will definitely help a motivated hacker to get the job done with less real-life pain, in case the reason the hacker is not hacking is due to immediate need for money.

Most of the people I know in the Hurd community are either at university or already have a job and contribute to the Hurd in their spare time (I am exactly in the middle of this rough generalization right now, but I am a well known slacker). To both of these kind of people you can't just ask to work six full months on a project, because they just can't get rid of their current life. Anyways I am generalizing here, I just wanted to point that IMHO money, while appreciated, aren't the immediate and easy answer for 'the Hurd problem'.

Just my opinion anyways,
Gianluca