Re: about GNU Hurd

From: Stephan Peijnik
Subject: Re: about GNU Hurd
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 21:34:38 +0200

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 09:21:30PM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> [...] and new people joining the project get immensly
> confused on what exactly they should work on since everyone is saying
> `work on what you want'.  It is a whole `no care attitude' which is
> simply destroying the project.

I can only agree to that. I have been thinking about doing some Hurd hacking
in the past, but after seeing that a lot of patches which should have been
commited long ago still have not been applied it seemed like the Hurd is
quite dead.

I am sure there are quite a few people out there who would love to
contribute to the development of the Hurd and have not done so because
it looks as if also patches which are both fine and needed have not been
applied.

Speaking of myself I did not do any hacking on the Hurd because I do not
want to write code that is not going to be applied for whatever reasons.

In my opinion, what the Hurd needs right now, and first of all, is
a maintainer which applies patches and, once that works, some sort of
advertising to attract new hackers.