Re: about GNU Hurd

From: arnuld
Subject: Re: about GNU Hurd
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:40:31 +0530

> On 7/30/07, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> When we started development of the Hurd, it was absolutely essential.
> We needed a free kernel, and there was none.

> Since we have Linux, the Hurd is no longer essential.

i don't think so. we can not deal with patents like M$-Novell deal
with GPLv2. corporate have found a way around GPLv2 and  for
contributing to GPLv2 Linux kernel is like dumping the idea of Free
Software. GPLv2 Linux kernel is has no "GPLv2 or later clause" :( and
i do not think that Linus will ever release his kernel under GPLv3. he
will not, as for him GPL does not matter but for me it does. i also
think GPL really matters for GNU community and especially for you
Richard.

[NOTE: everyone is free to call it a biased reply, in fact it is not]

> Making the Hurd
> work well would be good for two reasons:
>
> * Because it would be more powerful than Linux.

true. at the fundamental level it is much powerful an that powerful
kernel is not working as a modern kernel, not yet.

> * Because it would be a GNU kernel.

that is the whole idea i die for  :)

> The unfortunate thing is that making the Hurd really secure
> requires Coyotos.  I just asked Marcus Brinkmann how progress
> is on Coyotos.

after reading the archives of bug-Hurd, help-Hurd and L4-Hurd mailing
lists, i think  it is not true.

--
http://arnuld.blogspot.com/