Re: about GNU Hurd

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: about GNU Hurd
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 19:34:25 +0200 (CEST)

   I have asked the Glibc maintainers to facilitate installation of
   the necessary Glibc changes.

   Maybe we need to add another Hurd maintainer who will devote more
   time to this.  Is there someone who would like to volunteer?

I could, but I suspect some people would scream loudly; my branch is
still the most up-to-date branch in the Hurd, despite me not being
allowed to contribute to it for quite some time.

But, I do not think that this is the right solution.  There are too
many chefs trying to cook different stews, and trying to serve it as a
single dish; and some only taking up space.  I think the only way to
go forward is to remove maintainers, and get one or two people.  It
will always be that Roland and Bushenll are the ones who decide what
goes into the tree.  And as long as this persists, the Hurd will not
move forward.

What would also be useful is to appoint one of the people as the
maintainer of the Hurd bits in glibc.  For GDB there is no need, since
I do that work already, and for GCC there is no need since no such
bits actually exist (only that there are some problems with MAXPATHLEN
and such).