Re: A GNU Distribution

From: Jonathan Carter
Subject: Re: A GNU Distribution
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 22:01:49 -0400

On 06/04/2012 19:47, Jason Self wrote:
Richard Stallman<address@hidden>  wrote ..

Meanwhile, I just read about Nix and it sounds really great.
Does it have a downside that isn't obvious?

Nix does seem like a great package manager. If I understand it correctly, a
system using Nix wouldn't have the usual directories like /bin but I'm sure
that programs with hardcoded paths could be fixed.

Anyone else?

I would just like to chime in and point out that Debian already maintains a (very) large collection of binary packages that run on the Hurd:
http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/

Probably a good idea to take their work into account as well :)

-Jonathan