Re: A GNU Distribution

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: A GNU Distribution
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2012 16:22:04 -0400

   > By using a virtual file system (and not real symlinks) that is mounted
   > over /bin, etc, you don't get this problem.  Each mount point would
   > correspond to what the user is viewing.

   But is it actually necessary to have a virtual file system? Doesn't Nix
already
   handle this in its own way? (I'm looking at the "User environments" section
in
   slides 12-19.

AFAIK, it uses /nix/<hash>-PACKAGE/{bin,lib} or similar, where each
executable is frobbed to refer to the right place.  When the user sets
the environment, it frobs PATH to refer to each bin/ directory.

THere are benefits with this scheme, but there are benefits with the
old scheme as well; providing support for both would make it easier
for users.