Re: [gnugo-devel] Three stone games

From: Trevor Morris
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Three stone games
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 08:50:36 -0500

These mean values of the score differences aren't really meaningful.
GNU Go plays more conservatively when ahead.  That is, GNU Go is
not tuned to maximize the point differential, rather to maximize the
chances of winning.

The questions you ask make a lot of sense.  I don't have any hard
numbers, but can share the following observations:

I've noticed some asymmetry when the same version of GNU Go plays
itself even.  I've don't recall the details, however.

I did, back around 3.1.20 or so, play a series of 1-game kadoban games
btw. GNU Go and itself.  It only rarely won 2-stone games, and never
pushed itself to four stones (i.e. didn't beat itself at 3-stones).  The number
of games was pretty small, though.

-Trevor