Re: [Gomp-discuss] Architecture

From: Pop Sébastian
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Architecture
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:08:35 +0100

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 08:46:18AM -0500, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
> Lars Segerlund wrote
> >    Is there any activity here ?
>
> It has been a bit quiet here, hasn't it?

I still have 3 exams this month, and then I'll be here for 5 months :-)

> Our first task, I think, is to decide on a threading model. I can look at
> what various OpenMP compilers do as well. I have several compilers (mostly
> Fortran) I can use to get an idea of different approaches.
>
> I think this will be our biggest challenge, given gcc's multi-platform
> focus. Are pthreads universal "enough", or do we need to take a generic view
> of threads?

There is already some work in libgcc: have a look at gthr* files in gcc's
directory:
gthr-aix.h
gthr-dce.h
gthr-posix.h
gthr-rtems.h
gthr-single.h
gthr-solaris.h
gthr-vxworks.h
gthr-win32.h
gthr.h   ->  /* Threads compatibility routines for libgcc2.  */

I don't know wether we could use this lib for a system independent thread model,
but someone whispers that's in this direction we should scratch...

Sebastian