Re: [Gomp-discuss] Architecture

From: Lars Segerlund
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Architecture
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 07:52:01 +0100

If you look at my suggestion, we would not need to wory about the threading model until code generation, the important thing would be to make gcc's GIMPLE tree's understand the directives, and then the threading model and handling of the primitives comes in in the code generation phase, not the parsing/optimizing part ( obviously these tree elements would have to make some sence to the optimizer :-) ).

If you have a look at treelang in the tree-ssa branch you can see that tree generation is quite simple, so we might even start off without a frontend, but only a stub which feeds 'specific' tree's to the backend. Thus the backend could be completed before the frontend work, and then the handling of the omp directives would be simplified to the insertion of a single tree node in the frontends.

This way, a certain 'independence' of the threading model would be reached ( actually it would be had for free :-) ).

 So the question is, what needs to be specified and what is unknown ?

 / Lars