guix-devel

Re: Improved NPM importer with blacklist

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: Improved NPM importer with blacklist
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 18:20:42 +0100

On 2018-11-30 17:24, Julien Lepiller wrote:
Le 2018-11-30 17:13, swedebugia a écrit :

snip

Hi,

I never used the recursive importer, so I didn't know it wasn't very good.

I wonder if we really need to import every version of the packages. That doesn't seem very practical. There are a few cyclic dependencies issues in Java packages too, and they are dealt with in a case-by-case basis. Most often, we made a degraded version of one of the packages, the second can use to build itself, then we rebuild the first with the second package.

Sounds good.

Sometimes, we also have to adapt some of our packages for the newer versions of the dependencies we have. If we didn't, we'd have a lot of versions of every package, and most of them would be outdated, probably buggy or contain security holes. I'd prefer using the latest versions of dependencies, and contribute patches back to upstream, so they can use the latest and greatest too :)

That's obviously a lot more work, but that's also probably a saner way of doing things.

Agreed, this seems better. With a good tree browser we can probably avoid importing more than 2-5 versions of the worst packages.

I collected a few cyclic devdeps. See attached. (these definitions is of little value as the versions of deps and devdeps are discarded)

TODO:
* make npm-recursive-import work by not fetching blacklisted packages

Let's be careful though: we don't want to fetch blacklisted packages when they are devDependencies, but we still want them if they are runtime dependencies.

Totally agree. This is exactly why I only implemented blacklisting of native-inputs.

* implement keyword blacklisting based on the descriptions

We can probably use tags instead of the description : '("test" "testing" "check" "doc" "coverage" "unit") seem like a good approximation of what we want to blacklist.

Fewer that half the npm packages have tags to my knowledge. We can do both though :D

* match not just the whole string of blacklisted packages:
  e.g. match also "rollup-plugin" when "rollup" is in the blacklist.

* get the tarballs from npm-registry instead as they are never missing
  (githubs sometimes are) and likely reproducible.

Are they actual source tarballs, or are they somewhat different than the source used to build the "binary" npm package? With maven (for java) for instance, some sources are hosted, but they aren't supposed to be used to build the package, they're only here for the debugger.

Fortunately it seems it is the full source. :D
See
https://registry.npmjs.org/underscore/-/underscore-1.9.1.tgz
https://registry.npmjs.org/nodeunit/-/nodeunit-0.5.5.tgz
https://registry.npmjs.org/async/-/async-0.9.0.tgz

  all imported npm-packages.

I don't think that's a good idea: if we have multiple versions of a package, we'll have multiple <guixname> packages...

Ok, got it. I thought the define-publics would collide, but I guess not.

* Make it possible to specify a specific version to import (and perhaps
  the latest of all minor versions of a package :D).
(For async that would be "0.1.22", "0.2.10", "0.3.0", etc all the way
up to "2.6.1" which is the current beast. This would mean that we in
total import about 477.000 packages times the number of minor releases
(mean ~10?) that equals 4,7 mio. npm-packages :p) Then we will
definitely need to speed up guile. My guess is that we will have to
import at least 1,5 versions for every npm package to mitigate cyclic
dependencies (this means 477.000*1,5 = 715.500 npm-package-versions).

Again, I'm more in favor of patching them, rather than importing more versions. Do we still have as many cyclic deps with the blacklist?

No, the blacklist makes a BIG difference (but only to the cycdevdeps. The deps still introduce just as many cycles. These can be avoided by carefully choosing a version just before the cycdep was added :) (or by patching but I know nothing about JS so I leave that to others)

* Make it easy to analyze a given npm-package to see when deps/devdeps
were added. In the case async, propose we import 0.9.0 first which is
the last version without lodash as devdep. From 1.0.0 more devdeps
were added. (source: https://registry.npmjs.org/async)

Perhaps some kind of tree output for these complex packages with
versions as branches and dependencies as subbranches would be nice?

I will try parsing the registry to output something intelligently to help the user choose which version to import.

Thanks for your work!

Thanks for sharing so we can improve this together :)

--
Cheers
Swedebugia