gutopia-dev

RE: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:59:00 -0700

I'm cross posting this to the FreeRIDE developer's list with my comments
interspersed below... Curt

Laurent Julliard wrote:

> Rich Kilmer wrote:
> > Hello everyone...I was wondering where all the FreeRIDE folks went to
> > ;-)
> >

> The FreeRide folks are having some rest :-)).. talking about the same
> GUI questions again and again. I should talked to my psy about that one
> day...
>
> No seriously... I might be the one who have practiced FOX most for
> FreeRIDE and while it is a clean, easy to learn and consistent GUI
> Toolkit it is still one specific GUI toolkit. I think for now this is ok
> for FreeRIDE.

I'm having a very difficult time finding the FOX/Ruby threading bug, and
that is making much more anxious to find a replacement than I would be
otherwise.

> The second point is that I think at some point many people in FR-dev
> also wanted to abstract a GUI thing in FreeRIDE. We must not go to far
> in that direction because you can't chase 2 hares at the same time as we
> say in French. The level of abstraction wehave now is fine for a
> IDE  thing.

If your talking about specific support within FreeRIDE to support the
development of GUI applications, then I definitely agree (and if that's not
what you meat I'm sure I will agree after you clarify -- we seem to think
alike on these things).

> So this is why I am so interested in seeing a GUTOPIA thing. And if I
> had time myself I would have gone the SWT for a long time.

Same here.

Curt