gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:29:36 +0200

Tom Sawyer wrote:

having said that, i want to point out that GUtopIa can't simply borrow SWT's code. to do so would mean dumping the bindings that already exist
for interfacing ruby to gtk, win32, and coco, and stealing the SWT C
code which it designed for use with JNI and reworking it --it would
actually end up being more work. but SWT has some good notions toward
the overall design and i am attemtping to emulate those where they
apply.

~tom

Tom,

Actually when the same kind of discussion was raging on the Rouge mailing list and after spending several days in the low level C code of SWT , I remember that I came to the exact same conclusion. The guy in SWT have done a remarkable job and the best approach would probably to write a sort of C-JNI to C-Ruby translator to leverage their work. This tool go do 95% of the job and then things could be finalized by hand.

Laurent

--
Laurent JULLIARD - Xerox R&T/SSTC/XPA - Open Source team