gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 23:10:08 +0200

Curt Hibbs wrote:
I'm cross posting this to the FreeRIDE developer's list with my comments
interspersed below... Curt

Laurent Julliard wrote:

Rich Kilmer wrote:

Hello everyone...I was wondering where all the FreeRIDE folks went to
;-)

The FreeRide folks are having some rest :-)).. talking about the same
GUI questions again and again. I should talked to my psy about that one
day...

No seriously... I might be the one who have practiced FOX most for
FreeRIDE and while it is a clean, easy to learn and consistent GUI
Toolkit it is still one specific GUI toolkit. I think for now this is ok
for FreeRIDE.

I'm having a very difficult time finding the FOX/Ruby threading bug, and
that is making much more anxious to find a replacement than I would be
otherwise.

The second point is that I think at some point many people in FR-dev
also wanted to abstract a GUI thing in FreeRIDE. We must not go to far
in that direction because you can't chase 2 hares at the same time as we
say in French. The level of abstraction wehave now is fine for a
IDE  thing.

If your talking about specific support within FreeRIDE to support the
development of GUI applications, then I definitely agree (and if that's not
what you meat I'm sure I will agree after you clarify -- we seem to think
alike on these things).

No I wasn't talking about that. I was just saying that we have a certain level of GUI abstraction in FreeRIDE (EditPane, MenuPane, MenuBar,etc.) which is fine in some cases but also put some additional overhead on FreeRIDE, an overhead which should actually be handled by a GUtopia like layer. So this is what I meant when I said we should not go to far in abstracting the GUI objects we use for FreeRIDE.

Now speaking of which GUI toolkit to "integrate" in FreeRIDE, having in mind that we want FR to become a RAD with a GUI Builder, it is *clear* that given the current situation in the Ruby world it would be a nightmare to decide what GUI to support in a GUI builder. And this is the second reason why we need something like GUtopia in FR

So this is why I am so interested in seeing a GUTOPIA thing. And if I
had time myself I would have gone the SWT for a long time.

Same here.

Curt