gutopia-dev

RE: [rgui-dev] Camelot

From: Tom Sawyer
Subject: RE: [rgui-dev] Camelot
Date: 29 Aug 2002 01:28:45 -0600

rich,

i'm not attempting to build a full wrapper for these libraries, just use
the various parts that i need to implement the GUtopIa backends. i've
spent a little time on it tonight and i have a "hello world" example
already working in GTK. not much but it is a start.

there really is little difference between what i was doing with Ruby/GTK
and now doing with Ruby/DL to libgtk.so. the syntax just has to be
translated. by doing so i take a dependency out of the loop, and gain
some speed.

> The Ruby/DL version of this will likely be shorter, and perhaps
> refactored, but what the SWin author did, you will have to do...on every
> platform.

the only thing i don't get is what you mean by "on every platform"?

> Actually, you are going to have to code it to Microsoft's
> specifications...or the GTK authors...etc.

true. i will have to write a backend for each platform. perhaps that is
what you mean by the above. i grant you i am doing in Ruby, what
wxWindows has done in C. but geared directly to GUtopIa, and all the
advantages that will come from that.

> You did not *have* four developers.  Tom...no one here works for
> you...people donate their time(==$$) to projects they choose.  You are
> organizing an effort to produce a high-level metadata-based MVC UI
> framework based on work I (and others) started and you have furthered.
> You have set out to do the high level api, and have had success in
> connecting it to some else's low level graphics api (GTK).  This is very
> different that actually building that low level graphics api.  I wish
> you and others luck in this, and I hope that our efforts with wxRuby can
> be of use to you going forward (or at least the FreeRIDE IDE when we get
> that completed ;-)

that's silly. of course i know i don't "employ" you, that it is
voluntary. perhaps you all felt i was being dominating or something?
well, i am sorry if you felt that way. i was just trying to push things
into high gear. that's all. perhaps i made a mistake in trying to lay
down a specific game plan and delegate tasks, and inadvertently pushed
you away. that's too bad. i really believe in GUtopIa and what it will
eventually do. i wish i could convince you of my strategy. but you have
to do what you think is best. i completely understand. you are great
programmers, better than i, i imagine, but i am capable enough to do it
even if it will take awhile longer. i will miss your input on the
details of implementaion, but hopefully i will find others willing to
help too.

thanks for dropping me a line,
later on,
tom