gutopia-dev

RE: [rgui-dev] Camelot

From: Leon Torres
Subject: RE: [rgui-dev] Camelot
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 18:09:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Rich Kilmer wrote:

> wxPython is generated via swig...so they have already implemented the .i
> files for generating the wrappers.  That is _a lot_ of the hard work.

That's excellent news! The only gotcha I'm aware of is to run swig without
the -shadow directive as done for Python. If their interface is language
agnostic, you might have your work cut out for you. Also, since
wxwindows is C++, you might have downcast pointers to the appropriate
subclass by hand. Look for '%typemap(out) Node * = SWIGTYPE *DYNAMIC'
in the swig docs or ML archives.

The swig interface file I wrote for ParaGUI is only 200 lines or so, most
of it due to the downcasting by hand problem. For reference, this binding
can be found in the following smallish tarball:

  http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~leon/ruby/gutopia/ruby-binding.tgz

Please see http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~leon/ruby/gutopia/paragui.html for
more context. Hope that helps. :)

- Leon