gzz-dev

Re: Loom presentation (Re: [Gzz] Agora next thursday inbct seminar prese

From: Alatalo Toni
Subject: Re: Loom presentation (Re: [Gzz] Agora next thursday inbct seminar presentations)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:34:01 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Tuukka Hastrup wrote:

> What do we want to say about it? The audience expects something not
> technical at all?

good question(s) :) .. i guess Tuomas replis soon but some thoughts and a
quick detail correction:

> We can explain what RDF is, how it's open (W3C), and how many other
> projects already use it (the Semantic Web). There are libraries we can use
> and there will be onthology and inference code we can use. Other RDF users
> can use our browser to edit their data, thus we can collaborate with them.

seems like good intro stuff to me

> Other people plan to use RDF in hypertextual systems as well
> (bootstrap.org/open hypermedia system).

note: that OHS is the open hyperdocument system, not open hypermedia
(afaik there is no connection. though it did happen that the open
hypermedia turned to structural computing people discussed Engelbart in
their metainformatics symposium recently, so perhaps there is.)

it is a fact that some people there have suggested rdf as a possibility
for their OHS, but i haven't heard anything official (yet). to begin with
they said they'd be using probably some XML, like Open Office XML (for
hyperscope i.e. 1st stage open hyperdoc. system).

> If we have a vision about unifying Loom, PP and xupdf, I'd say that's

..

> important as well. If the audience wonders about change from zzstructure,
> we should tell something about the effects of the change as well.

is the loss of the (patented) fundamental views one? i guess i've grown to
like working with the zzstructure using (stretch)vanishing view.. should
revisit your&Benja's messages Re: [Gzz] Space in RDF structure on this.

~Toni