Re: What are Emacs best uses?

From: Charles Philip Chan
Subject: Re: What are Emacs best uses?
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 16:20:24 -0400

Jorge <1gato0a@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Jorge:

>   But gmail allows multiple labels per conversation(thread).  Does
> this not confuse Emacs?  Also, does Emacs group threads differently
> from Gmail, meaning that you see a different thing in Emacs than what
> you see in the web interface?  Does this cause problems?  Is there any
> potential for data loss?

This will answer all your questions:

     https://support.google.com/mail/answer/77657?hl=en

Personally I don't use the web interface- I detest web mail. I prefer to
download my emails from my various online accounts via pop3 with
fetchmail. They are then feed to procmail for splitting (a hand crafted
.promailrc which include a dynamic procmail config file generated by
niko-bbdb-split.el[1] and with spamassasin integration). The emails are
put into the various folders via dovecot's dovecot-lda command in a
maildir hierarchy. I can then read my email from anywhere by connecting
to my home dovecot server via imaps.

Charles

Footnotes:
[1] http://osdir.com/ml/bbdb/2012-08/msg00068.html

--
"However, complexity is not always the enemy."

  -- Larry Wall (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)