Re: [Help-gnunet] INDIRECTION_TABLE_SIZE and download speed

From: Tracy R Reed
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] INDIRECTION_TABLE_SIZE and download speed
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 14:47:59 -0700

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 09:54:46PM +0200, Ingo Ruhnke spake thusly:
> As far as I understand GNUnet there shouldn't be a need to reinsert
> content manuelly[1], GNUnet should handle the distribution of content
> automatically while you download it.

I didn't mean to reinsert the content manually. What happened was that I
started indexing some stuff, which takes forever, and in the meantime
decided to try downloading a few files. My current working directory was
the same directory I was indexing the files from. Then for whatever reason
I had to stop the indexing. Then I restarted the indexing. Now I've got a
bunch of bogus files in my directory where I was indexing *.

> Beside that, it is normal behaviour, GNUnet creates a file full of
> Nulls and replaces them with the real data as it gets it (the data
> comes in chunks of random order, so it can't grow the file like you do

Understood about the nulls and the random order of data.

> on a http download). As Unix filesystems handle files full of Nulls
> special, there is no diskspace wasted when you have lots of incomplete
> file. Look at the difference between the output of 'ls -lh' and 'du
> -h', the first shows the size of the file, the second one shows how
> much space the file really uses.

Special? Are we specifically creating sparsefiles here or are we actually
creating a lot of nulls? There is a difference.

> I agree, but that can could be implemented on-top of gnunet-download
> or in a GUI client, something like this might help:
>
> % gnunet-download -o $TMPDIR/$FILENAME -- .... && mv $TMPDIR/$FILENAME
> $FILENAME

Exactly. Or at the very least I think we should give the files a .tmp
extension and then move them to the real name when the download completes.
There has to be some way to tell partial corrupted files that never
finished downloading from the full file. I have a directory full of mp3's
which contains at least a dozen broken mp3's but heck if I can tell which
are good and which are bad without listening to them.

--
Tracy Reed      http://www.ultraviolet.org
This message brought to you by Microsoft. Inventors of multitasking,