Re: [Help-gnunet] help with database management

From: Benjamin Paul Kay
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] help with database management
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:17:16 -0400

On Sunday 12 October 2003 19:50, Christian Grothoff wrote:
> On Sunday 12 October 2003 06:49 pm, you wrote:
> > On Sunday 12 October 2003 18:45, you wrote:
> > > gnunet-insert can do that, too.  But the options get really complex.
> > > What do you think is wrong with gnunet-gtk with respect to pseudonyms?
> >
> > The "bug" in gnunet-gtk with respect to pseudonyms may just be a
> > misunderstanding on my part. I assume that pseudonyms are locally
> > synonymous to namespaces in a non-hex format.
> >
> > I use gnunet-gtk to create pseudonym "MyPseudonym" with password
> > "password". gnunet-pseudonym-list returns "MyPseudonym not decrypted"
> > All the options under Advanced-Insert into Namespace are grayed out
> > (nothin' happens when I click on 'em).
> >
> > Possibilities:
> > 1. I'm not doing somthing that needs to be done so that gnunet-gtk will
> > let me insert stuff into a namespace I've created. Help.
>
> Try entering the password in the "password" line and press enter.

How do I get to the "password" line? (Sorry about my apparent stupidity
here...)

> > As it happens, Advanced-Assemble Directory is suffering from the same
> > problem. And I have absolutely no idea what Advanced-Reset File
> > Identifiers is even supposed to do.
>
> You can only assemble files into a directory that you indexed/inserted

I have indexed/inserted numerous files. I still cannot access the Assemble
Directory features from gnunet-gtk.

> before. GNUnet keeps a list of these files just for the purpose of building
> directories.  In order to maintain your deniability (see FAQ), you need to
> "reset" the file identifiers.  Hmm. Maybe I should have mentioned that
> facility in the FAQ :-)

Please do! Although in my case, deniability is not an issue as I use encrypted
filesystems.

> > The option to search a namespace will undoubtedly be useful, but I'm not
> > sure where I'm supposed to get the namespace in HEX format from.
>
> You should get it if you use gnunet-pseudonym-list with the "-p PASSWORD"
> option.

"gnunet-pseudonym-list --help" does not list a "-p PASSWORD" option. And
running gnunet-pseudonym-list with that option (obviously with PASSWORD
replaced by my pseudonym's password) I still get the same hex-free results as
before.