Re: [Help-gnunet] help with database management

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] help with database management
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:50:44 +0300 (EEST)

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Benjamin Paul Kay wrote:

> > > By the way - what does it mean when gnunet-search starts off with:
> > > Oct 12 09:42:19 WARNING: Failed to open file
> > > /var/lib/GNUnet/state.sdb//dir1
> > Does the user you execute gnunet-search with have have
> > read/write access to that file?
> Presumable not.

But it should. And don't blame me for that particular design. ;)

> > > I'm new to mysql. Could you elaborate?
> > $ mysql -u username mysql> use gnunet; mysql> show tables; mysql>
> Somehow I get the feeling that checking the database will be useless until I
> can figure out how to get newly inserted content to appear in database.list.

If the mysql database is structurally broken (gnunet-check can't see
that!) it is clear the insertion can't work properly - but gnunetd
may well think its ok if MySQL doesn't return failures on ops.

> My current thoughts are that gnunetd does not, in fact, have root priveleges
> and that I should chmod /var/lib/GNUnet so that ordinary users can access the
> stuff.

Thats easily seen by e.g. 'ps aux'. And besides, you probably
shouldn't run gnunetd as root. Create a fresh user for it or something.

> You mentioned reinserting content. Is there a way to manually add
> filenames to database.list to avoid the lengthy reinsertion process?

No. database.list shouldn't be touched by hand.

> And if I do reinsert
> content, will the original instance of that content in the DB be deleted or
> will I have two instances of the same file taking up space in the DB?

It will not take up any extra space to reindex or reinsert - just time.

> And no, since dropping the "DATABASEBUCKETS = 1" line has not fixed anything,
> the results from gnunet-check -a are the same.

It shouldn't have fixed anything. The line is simply redundant.
The current code ignores it.

> By the way - my responses are not being echoes on address@hidden Have I
> been banned from the mailing list, and if so, why?

Your cc: list looks malformed. It doesn't have , in it between
my address and the gnunet-help@ -address. Maybe your email client
is having a bad day.

Igor