help-gnustep

Objective-C programming

From: Mehul N. Sanghvi
Subject: Objective-C programming
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:19:26 -0400

'allo,

     This might be considered off-topic, but I don't know anywhere else
I should post this to.

     Is it possible to do any useful Objective-C programming, without
GNUstep ?  I'm interested in doing network based programming, maybe some
curses stuff, interact with some databases like PostgreSQL/SQLite, all on a Linux/NetBSD system. Objective-C can make use of existing C libraries, yes ? What advantages do I get from developing on the GNUstep platform versus just using the existing C interfaces ?

I've been lurking on the list for a while, and have been wanting to pick up on Objective-C programming as well, just haven't had much time to do so recently. My interest has risen even more after doing some Smalltalk based development over the last few months. I know that Kochan has a book that might be good for what I want to do.

Again, this might not be the right place to be asking this, so pointers to where I should ask this would be appreciated.

cheers,

     mehul
--
Mehul N. Sanghvi