human-beings-discuss

Re: [Human-beings-discuss] Ocaml-SDL

From: Guillaume Cottenceau
Subject: Re: [Human-beings-discuss] Ocaml-SDL
Date: 13 Mar 2002 18:38:28 +0100

address@hidden (François Pons) writes:

> Talking about human beings involve to create world map (ie map very large with
> seek access) ? I think about detailed map hosted by various gamers and each
> one
> connected ? Maybe it could be to wide for being playable correctly ?
>
> Let the computer take games relay ? by continuing playing (stabilizing and
> normal slow evolution) ?

You mean playing on a very large map, but I think it is not very
interesting because in a game you won't meet more than 4-10
persons, so "having" more than 10 persons in the game is not
really useful if you don't meet them.

Also, when having many players, you will need at a point that not
all player require to join at the same moment (saying than 100
persons start the game at 8pm is difficult), then it becomes
difficult to handle civ-like political/technical progression
because newcomers will be too weak compared to older players.

> money is good produced and or services, you can try to reach reality including
> human vices on this ? money can be used to purchase good with commercial roads
> among players (this make me think about caesar3).

Developing trade could be interesting, though we need to know how
it will be used. Also, maybe it will complicate even more the
game?

As of how goods and "money" will be handled, my thoughts were to
have a list of basic stuff ("matieres premieres" in french) such
as water, food, wood, energy, steel, and you need to anticipate
the availability of them, in order to build your batiments and
run them (e.g. a batiment needs xx quantity of yy to be built,
and zz to be run); then you can try to starvate your opponent.

We could think of exchanging goods between races like you
propose, it could add an interesting dimension to the game, like
for example "I can't make war with him because I need his wood";
it could also be "I need to conquer his wood factories".

Yes, could be interesting! :-)

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://www.frozen-bubble.org/