human-beings-discuss

Re: [Human-beings-discuss] Ocaml-SDL

From: François Pons
Subject: Re: [Human-beings-discuss] Ocaml-SDL
Date: 13 Mar 2002 19:02:37 +0100

Guillaume Cottenceau <address@hidden> writes:

> > money is good produced and or services, you can try to reach reality
> > including
> > human vices on this ? money can be used to purchase good with commercial
> > roads
> > among players (this make me think about caesar3).
>
> Developing trade could be interesting, though we need to know how
> it will be used. Also, maybe it will complicate even more the
> game?

Sure, but a good approach can make the game usable by new-comers (but they will
trashed by experienced gamers) and allow use of more and more complicated stuff.

Too simple is what is produced by industry, try to move to something more
powerfull can be interrested.

> As of how goods and "money" will be handled, my thoughts were to

"money" can be considered basic stuff in fact, only recently in civisation money
appeared, but money is ultimate basic stuff always accepted and "étalon" in
french (english only people will not appreaciate this :-)

> have a list of basic stuff ("matieres premieres" in french) such
> as water, food, wood, energy, steel, and you need to anticipate
> the availability of them, in order to build your batiments and
> run them (e.g. a batiment needs xx quantity of yy to be built,
> and zz to be run); then you can try to starvate your opponent.

Furthermore, technology can allow building new stuff (as opposed to basic stuff)
which may need to be used to build more appropriate buildings.

> We could think of exchanging goods between races like you
> propose, it could add an interesting dimension to the game, like
> for example "I can't make war with him because I need his wood";
> it could also be "I need to conquer his wood factories".

Dissimulating factories could be a good approach so, build a factory of xxx but
in fact build yyy stuff inside (along with xxx) in order to protect your
factory.

> Yes, could be interesting! :-)

Sure again ;-)

François.