Re: Request for comments: prettify snippets page

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Request for comments: prettify snippets page
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:24:31 -0300

2007/12/26, John Mandereau <address@hidden>:
> I'd like to deeply change doc snippets presentation: as tags were
> recently added to LSR, we should put all snippets in the same directory,
> resulting in a single PDF file and a single HTML page for all snippets.
>
> Of course, putting all snippets on a single HTML page would make
> browsing snippets a bit more difficult, so I propose to make another
> HTML page for browsers supporting JavaScript and DOM, with searching and

I think that using tags for classifying the snippets is a better
approach than the subdirectory approach from the user perspective.  I
am -however- not volunteering to actually do it :-)

I wonder how many people use PDF to browse the snippets. I suspect it
might not be that many. Does anyone on the list use PDF for the
snippets?

Maybe you could start from a html page (lilypond-book has a html mode
too) rather than texinfo.  If you modify the lp-book script you could
make it generate each fragment in

then a little piece of javascript could ask for a tag, and traverse
all document sections toggling the visibility, depending on the tags
requested.

I am not very familiar with the javascript side of things.

I am not sure how you would do linking to a specific tag.