Re: Request for comments: prettify snippets page

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Request for comments: prettify snippets page
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 22:18:31 +0100

Le vendredi 28 décembre 2007 à 13:20 -0800, Graham Percival a écrit :
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:37:28 +0100
> "Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > AFAIK, now than Sebastiano has released the full LSR sources, we could
> > have some very concrete changes (maybe even patches) to offer him, and
> > I'm sure it would no longer take him several weeks to just commit such
> > changes.
>
> I checked that already -- version 0.4 was released in Oct.  IIRC
> we've had some changes since then, but maybe they were just in the
> DB side of things and not in the actual code.  Feel free to
> investigate more.

Speaking of, I'd like to replace ugly file-names-with-dashes.ly with
real titles in snippets pages, and although I don't know Java at all,
the required change is so trivial that I'll be able to send a patch
soon, but I'd like to do other things first.

> > Besides, I'm almost done with my full LSR-reviewing, so sooner or
> > later we'll have to contact him anyway, to remove the old directories
> > system.

Cool!  In my makelsr.py rewrite, I already replaced variables named
'dir(s)' with 'tag(s)', so the concept is already in the code.

> Sure.  But IIRC, John has one week where he's relatively free, and
> then gets busy again.  I'm warning him that this job probably will
> not fit into his holiday week.

Working on texinfo/makefiles/small python buildscripts is easy for me,
as I did the effort to understand this infrastructure one year ago to
i18n the manuals, but working on a big Python program like lilypond-book
is much more painful and time-consuming on my side these days -- I hope
I've understood portions of the code well enough to make clean changes.

> > Of course, I fully understand your opinion, but sometimes people just
> > feel like spending useless time "just because".
>
> That's fine, as long as he's aware of the potential problems.
> Particularly the ones that are completely out of our control (ie
> turnaround time with LSR changes).

The first set of changes I'm going to propose (i.e. putting all snippets
in input/lsr without any subdir) involves no LSR changes at all, it's a
matter of rewriting makelsr.py and input/LSR/GNUmakefile, and changing
lys-to-tely.py a little.  I'm aware of all details here, and you've done
good work with makelsr.py, so the real work is about revising the
Texinfo doc that glues snippets together.  I think the current snippets
compilation model, based on the reg tests and former tips & tricks,
should be adapted a little: there are too much snippets to fit them on a
single page, we want to sort them by categories/tags, so we need
multiple pages, and we'd like to have links between pages, and a single
PDF document: for this purpose, it's easy to reuse the makefile code for
learning/user/whatever manuals, thus requiring all snippets in the same
directory.

I'll send patches as soon as I've get something to work, or if you
prefer, Graham, I'll push to master as soon as I get something as good
as the current framework.

Cheers,
John