Re: GDP: translations and code comments

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GDP: translations and code comments
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:28:01 -0700

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:54:39 +0200
"Francisco Vila" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Comments: no need to recompile if verbatim option is used, just keep
> and compile the original once, showing the translated verbatim code.
> Possible...? otoh if verbatim is not used, translating comments is not
> as important.

We almost always use verbatim.  I've permitted three exceptions to
this rule, and I don't expect to allow many more.

> Text Markups: must translate and need recompilation.

Surely not if they're musical terms like
  \markup{ \italics dolce }
?  (VV: ok, you win)

> Variable names: already translated in @examples, helps clarifying. It
> would be nice to have them translated in verbatim- and non-verbatim-
> snippets. Again, in verbatim mode the translated version could show
> and the original could be kept so it doesn't need recompilation.

... really?  A lilypond user needs to know *some* English anyway.
\relative, \transpose, \partcombine... if somebody has
trouble with
  musicA = {...}
  musicB = {...}
then how on earth will they understand
  \once \override Voice.Stem #'padding = #3
?

... well, it's your time.  If you think it's worthwhile, go ahead.