Re: GDP: translations and code comments

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GDP: translations and code comments
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 14:58:34 -0700

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 19:16:59 +0200
"Francisco Vila" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2008/4/19, Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:54:39 +0200
> >
> > "Francisco Vila" <address@hidden> wrote:
> >  > Text Markups: must translate and need recompilation.
> >

> > Surely not if they're musical terms like
> >   \markup{ \italics dolce }
> >  ?  (VV: ok, you win)
>
> Trivially not. You know I'm thinking in different cases.

No; my point was that if we choose appropriate terms for the
English \markup strings -- as Valentin has argued for in the past,
and I previously dismissed -- then you don't need to translate
them.  If *every* \markup example used Italian musical terms or
Latin lyrics (that's as close as I can think to a "universal
musical language"), then there should be no need to translate
them.