Re: GDP: translations and code comments

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: GDP: translations and code comments
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:42:22 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:
> We almost always use verbatim.  I've permitted three exceptions to
> this rule, and I don't expect to allow many more.

Agreed.

> > Variable names: already translated in @examples, helps clarifying. It
> > would be nice to have them translated in verbatim- and non-verbatim-
> > snippets. Again, in verbatim mode the translated version could show
> > and the original could be kept so it doesn't need recompilation.
>
> ... really?  A lilypond user needs to know *some* English anyway.
> \relative, \transpose, \partcombine... if somebody has
> trouble with
>   musicA = {...}
>   musicB = {...}
> then how on earth will they understand
>   \once \override Voice.Stem #'padding = #3
> ?

You're right on this simple example, but what about some variable names
with abbreviations or initialisms, like "tsMarkup" in Rhythms ->
Polymetric notation, or "rndf", "boxf" in Expressive -> New dynamic
marks?

As Francisco explained, understanding every single word in English is an
important effort for somebody who doesn't speak or write this language
well, and abbreviations often even become completely obscure, so
minimizing these efforts by translating (at least the non trivial)
variable names is definitely worthwile.

> ... well, it's your time.  If you think it's worthwhile, go ahead.

Done.  FWIW the script that collects strings to be gettextized found 120
non-unique names of variable definitions and 183 comments in
Documentation/user/*.itely (only snippets with verbatim option are
scanned).  input/ is not scanned for now; Francisco, Till, just let me
know when you need it.

Cheers,
John