Re: syntax changes before beta version

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: syntax changes before beta version
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 01:24:26 +0200

Am Freitag, 18. Juli 2008 schrieb John Mandereau:
> IIRC Reinhold is away or busy,

I'm always busy ;-) Seriously, I was away last week, but now I'm back.
Just today, I started implementing the sectionname<=>filename map (which needs
to be written out to a file on disk, so that external refs from other manuals
can load this and look up the correct file/anchor to point to). I'm already
generating that map and writing it out in tab-separated form to a file
(basename)_xref.map. The loading of this is not yet implemented (in
lilypond_external_href, which is currently simply copied from the texi2html
code; I already laid out the steps there but didn't write the code).
I suppose, we need one more texi2html run to make texi2html use this map for
other manuals.

> On 2008/07/17 14:36 -0700, Graham Percival wrote:
> > That sucks.  What's the current hold-up?

Actually, there's not one big holdup reason, but there are some smaller
issues:
- -) decide how to modify the build process to use the secname->filename/anchor
map. We can either run texi2html twice on all files (run it once on all files
and only after that we can run it a second time, this time with all maps from
the other files available) or try to create a hand-written script to extract
that map and then run texi2html only once. I'd prefer running texi2html
twice, but that (1) takes longer and (2) I don't know how hard it would be to
implement in the makefiles...
- -) CSS issues with IE (which doesn't properly support the positioning
attributes for the TOC frame on the left)
- -) We need a proper screen design. My current version is just an amateurish
proof-of-concept, but no nice screen design.
- -) Proper real-world testing. This is a point that takes time and should not
be hurried, so I'm not in favor of last-minute pushes before a release. In
particular, since section names can now be translated directly in the file,
translators need to adjust, and I'd like to give them some time to adjust to
it.

I'm sure there will be all different kinds of further small issues creeping
up. The current version (I merged master into dev/texi2html yesterday) can be
found at:
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/texi2html-out/

> and I can't help right now because I
> haven't learnt Perl yet, so please be patient.

Once you know some programming language (or rather paradigms like procedural
or functional), other languages are just a different syntax, but otherwise
not hard to learn. I am typically not even aware of the language I'm coding,
because I look at the existing code and automatically adjust to it.

> I'd also like to
> proofread *all* docs reworked in GDP before it ends, I'm not sure which
> of these two time-consuming tasks I should give priority to.

I'd say, proofreading the contents docs is of a higher priority than visually
spicing it up... After all, the most important spot of the docs is the
homepage, and we can always replace the version on the homepage by a
texi2html one later on. We don't even need a release for this.

Concerning the texi2html, I still have some questions:
- -) Do I see it correctly that we don't create translated versions of the "one
big page" single-file manuals?
- -) How should the translated section titles and the
unnumbered-into-the-same-file  features work exactly? Imagine we have a
section
    @node Title
    @section Title
   @node Paragraph title
   @unnumberedsubsubsec Paragraph title
in the .tely file. The German translation would then use
    @node Überschrift
    @section Überschrift
    @translationof Title
   @node Absatzüberschrift
   @unnumbered Absatzüberschrift
   @translationof Paragraph title
right? How do cross-references to these sections work? I suppose that they
should always use the translated titles and the texi2html init script
automatically retrieves the correct file name / anchor for the link. Do I
understand this correctly? I.e. internal refs are:
   @ref{Überschrift}
   @ref{Absatzüberschrift}
and external refs are:
   @rlearning{Überschrift}