Re: CM 1.1 git question

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: CM 1.1 git question
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 21:28:00 +0100

Le 19.02.2009 20:56, Jonathan Kulp disait :

Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

On 2/19/09 9:53 AM, "Jonathan Kulp" <address@hidden> wrote:

This sounds really useful.  I'd like to try to get comfortable with git
on a project of my own, something that doesn't have an online repo.  How
do I create a local git version of a directory on my machine?  I tried
creating a new directory to house the new git repo and then doing

git-clone ~/Documents/DirectoryName/

You don't have a git repository of your stuff, so you can't clone the
repository.

The way I do it is to change to ~/Documents/DirectoryName/ and type

git init

which will create an empty repository in the current directory.  Then you
add your files to the repository by typing

git add *

which adds all the files to the staging area, followed by

git commit

which commits them to the repository.  And now you're off and running!

Good luck,

Carl

Thanks Carl & Maximilian for this help. I've got it going now. At the moment I don't see all the advantages of it for this project but I'm getting used to the git commands and conventions at least. It's a big lilypond-book project so it has tons of extra files that get created when I compile and I'm not sure if I want git tracking all those or not. It seems unnecessary to track anything but the source code files. After I compile, though, and then do "git status" I get an enormous number of untracked files created since the last commit. I just go through and add the ones I want tracked, commit them and I'm done I guess. Thanks for the help with git. I appreciate it and I'm guessing this thread will be helpful for other noobs in the future. :)

Jon

Just have a look at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html#ignoring-files

(git user's manual, section 3-Developing with git)

and the .gitignore file at the top directory of your LilyPond's repository.

HTH
Jean-Charles