Re: CM 1.1 git question

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: CM 1.1 git question
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:15:17 -0700

On 2/18/09 9:49 AM, "Jonathan Kulp" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't have commit privileges.  Is this commit command a local commit
> or...where does it commit to?  Frankly I'm scared of committment. :) I
> also don't understand which files it's comparing.  When you decide to
> edit a file, do you work directly on that file or do you create a
> working copy or a backup or what?

Jon,

Now that you've got git installed, you can do this much easier.

You should know that you can't mess up the Savannah repository without doing
a "push" command from git.

Your commits will only affect your repository, so don't worry about using
git.  It will make things much easier, especially for those of us who apply
the patches.

> Here's my workflow.  If you have time, please show how I should modify
> it to use the git stuff instead, but I haven't found it to be tedious at
> all:
>
> 1. Find a typo in a doc
> 2. git pull origin (to make sure I have the latest of everything)
> 3. find the sourcefile where the typo is: foobar.itely

So far, so good.

> 4. make a working copy of that file: foobarB.itely

Don't do this any more.

> 5. fix the typo in foobarB.itely

Instead, fix the typo in foobar.itely

> 6. Preview changes by running texi2html. If all is well, proceed...

Good, keep doing this
> 7. create patch by doing
>         diff -u foobar.itely foobarB.itely > foobar.patch

Now you're going to create a commit on your local repository:

git commit -a

Then you'll create a patch with

git format-patch origin

(This creates a patch for the differences between your repository and
origin)

> 8. send patch to someone with commit privileges

Keep doing this.

> Done.

HTH,

Carl