Re: adding snippets manually

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: adding snippets manually
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 09:32:10 -0600

On 4/18/09 9:24 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 09:06:34AM -0600, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> On 4/18/09 8:57 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> No, no -- when a programmer writes a regtest for a new feature,
>>> the minimal "documentation" work is that he copies it or runs a
>>> python script or something to put it in the snippets.  If he wants
>>
>> Oh, OK.  See, I felt like part of my work for adding the new feature
>> (complex dash patterns in slurs, and a change in syntax for setting
>> slur dash patterns) was to add the sections to the NR describing it.  Given
>> the current organization of the NR, it's really trivial (but then again,
>> I've been working on docs, and not all developers have).
>
> Yes.  Also, you're a native English speaker.  I agree that the
> /complete/ work of adding a new feature isn't over until it's in
> the NR (or perhaps IR-only, as appropriate) -- but this doesn't
> mean that the programmer needs to do it all himself.
>
> As long as there's a regtest, a documenter (Jonathan?) should be
> able to figure it out and write the NR stuff accordingly.
>
>>> We make sure it compiles by compiling the docs.  We absolutely do
>>> not have the resources (in this case, CPU-wise as well as
>>> people-wise) to check every single piece of .ly code that's in the
>>> git tree for every single release.
>>>

>> You're right, obviously.
>
> Valentin, here's your top quote for the next LilyPond Report.  :P
>
>>  That's why I'm glad we have you thinking about
>> issues like this.
>
> speaking of which...

>>> No.  No, we wouldn't like that.  It would be even more of a
>>> support nightmare.
>>
>> Why is it harder to leave the old version up than to take it down when we
>> move to the new stable version?  What am I missing?
>
> Time.  What happens if somebody adds a nifty snippet to the old
> LSR?  Will we notice?  If so, what next -- do we manually copy it
> into the new one?

I guess I was thinking that the old one would be read-only; no new snippets
could be added.

> What happens if somebody adds a nifty snippet to the new LSR, but
> that snippet doesn't require any new features?  Do we manually
> copy it back to the old one?  Do we sort out some kind of
> automatic thing?

No -- we just let it be in the newest stable.  If somebody wants that
feature badly enough, it's either incentive to switch to a new LilyPond
version, or they figure it out themselves for the older version.

> So... we *could* have two distinct LSRs.  Or three, or four.  As
> time progresses and, Mao willing, people start to read and
> contribute more snippets, what happens to these multiple LSRs?
> Nothing good.

I think having the old version LSR as a read only repository is just like
having old versions of the documentation around -- it doesn't cost much, and
it doesn't require any maintenance (except that it does require the host to
have multiple versions of LilyPond available).

Carl