Re: adding snippets manually

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: adding snippets manually
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 08:26:57 -0600

On 4/18/09 6:03 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 09:39:07PM -0600, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> On 4/17/09 9:16 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> That said, I must admit that CG 5 doesn't go into details of how
>>> to manually deal with input/new to input/lsr.  The format changes
>>> slightly.  It's dealt with the python script, but I did it by hand
>>> a few times for small fixes.
>>
>> The CG recommends using makelsr.py.  But I thought than only Neil was
>> authorized to use makelsr.py.
>
> That's why I said "I need to think about this".  Or I think I said
> it.  I meant to say it, at least.
>
>> So can I use makelsr.py on my machine, but not add the new lsr files to git?
>> That doesn't sound particularly good to me.
>
> Well, yeah.  Hmm... right now I'm imagining a prepsnippet.py,
> which copies a single snippet.  makelsr.py would then call
> prepsnippet.py on every snippet it normally handles.
>
>> What I did this time around (and I didn't like it well at all) was just put
>> a copy in input/new, and copied it to input/lsr.  That gave me a copy of the
>> title and the texidoc in the snippet, which is *not* nice.  But I think we
>> need to have some way to get new snippets in the docs pretty quickly.
>
> Not only that, but with a minimum of effort.  IMO, people adding
> new features should only be required to write one .ly file (for
> input/regression/ ); they shouldn't need to do any other manual
> tweaking to get a snippet in input/lsr/.

This is an interesting thought, but I think it would require significant
reworking of the existing regtests.

One of the issues with regtests is that when a bug is found, a regtest is
added to demonstrate the bug, and then when it's fixed, the test works
properly.  But it's not clear to me that such a bug-identifying regtest
belongs in the manual.

But I guess the manual snippets can be a subset of the regression tests.

Let's consider another option -- there's a snippet somebody develops in the
LSR that's a neat way to do something.  So we want to add it to the manual.
Should it also be added to the regression tests?  My first thought is no,
but my second thought says that if it's in the manual, we ought to make sure
it continues to work.  So I don't know where I come down on it.

> I suspect this will need to wait 6 weeks, unless John pops out of
> the woodwork to say "I was kicked out of my teacher training
> thing, so I have plenty of time for lilypond now" :P
> Or unless a Frog particularly wants to handle it.  But since I
> know exactly what the problem is, and I'm decent at python, and it
> isn't particularly time-sensitive, I can do this easily once I'm
> home.
>
> Fixing this could also tie into my long-desired separation of docs
> from code -- we kill input/ entirely.  Snippets go in docs/input,
> and regtests go in regression/ or regtests/ or something like
> that.  Oh, I also hate the capital letter in "Documentation", so
> I'm wanting "docs/" instead.  And the current input/examples/ dies
> completely and is replaced by lsr-derived stuff.  And maybe see if
> we can set up lsr on Valentin's new server, if that new server is
> more reliable than the current one.

I don't have input/examples in my git tree.  Does it still exist?

When we get lsr set up on another server, perhaps we can get multiple copies
set up to handle different LilyPond versions?  I think that the major
limitation on lsr right now (other than the fact that it's frequently down)
is that it only supports one version of LilyPond, and currently, it's an old
version (2.10.12).  We'd like to have a 2.10 version, a 2.12 version, and
maybe even a 2.13 version.

> And a pony.  I really want a pony.

Don't think you can have one in Singapore.  I think it would be a risk for
messing up the streets!

> PS  actually, I don't want a pony.  What I /really/ want is to
> hike up a mountain (a proper mountain, at least 1km high), find a
> patch of snow, tear off my clothes, and roll around naked in it.
> Bloody endless 30-degree temperature...  you guys can have all the
> "tropical paradise" you want.  I am *so* looking forward to cold
> Scottish rain.

Well, I'm sitting here in my living room looking out at 3.5 km high Mt.
Timpanogos.  We just had a spring snowstorm that dropped about 9 inches of
snow on us.  I have to admit, I love the weather and the view.  Plus, the
humidity is low here, as well.

OK, only six more weeks!

Carl