Re: lilybuntu confusion

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: lilybuntu confusion
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 12:50:24 -0500

Mark Polesky wrote:
Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool) wrote:
1) Memory: use the recommended base size of 384 MB?
As long as there's enough memory to run things, you're OK.
Extra memory needs will be met by using virtual memory (on the
hard disk).
Well, I would recommend _at least_ 384MB, but running two OS'es
at the same time on a computer with 0.5G RAM can be hard.

Actually, VirtualBox will not let me use less than 75% of my host
RAM. So I can set it to 377 MB at the most. Should I quit now, or
see if it can work? At the moment, I just want to compile the docs.

I'll wait for some advice before I proceed this time!
- Mark

I don't think it can hurt anything if you set your virtual RAM to 377. It'll probably go sort of slow on Windows. I assume it's XP you're running, right? XP can probably survive on the remaining RAM while the virtual machine is running.

If you run into a wall here, you might try installing Ubuntu via Wubi (http://wubi-installer.org/), which installs Ubuntu from inside Windows, creating a dual-boot setup without having to repartition. I don't think you could use the lilybuntu.iso with Wubi (it does a network install, not a CD or iso install), but I could provide you with the shell script I used to install all of the Lilypond build dependencies. Downside is that you'd have to reboot to go into the Linux side, but at least there'd be enough RAM.

Jon

p.s. Could your machine handle a RAM upgrade, or is it maxed out already? I have two 1GB sticks of laptop RAM that I'm not using anymore, and if they were compatible with your machine I'd be happy to send you one or both.
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com