Re: Make broken on master

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Make broken on master
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 17:34:39 +0200

Le lundi 27 juillet 2009 à 09:01 -0600, Carl Sorensen a écrit :
> Current master.

Did you mean 2848f13c9c7fe59b47165832348e14d771439dc7?

> I couldn't find a log.

I meant the mix of stdout and stderr, which I usually save to a file,
e.g.

make -j3 doc &> make-doc-2009-07-27.log

>   Perhaps I was looking for the wrong filename.

It doesn't look so.

> There is a Documentation/user/out-www/identifiers.tely.
>
> There is a Documentation/user/out/identifiers.tely
>
> Those are the only identifiers.tely files in my source tree.

You mean your source and build tree, or your working tree for short.

> > At next failure, don't fear flooding my private mailbox with full (maybe
> > compressed) logs, Gmail can bear it. This will prevent us from playing a
> > time-consuming detective game.
>
> OK, I can do that.

But please clean your working tree before.

> I've done make clean.  Is there more?

Err, you know about 'make doc-clean', don't you?
'make clean' cleans mostly only stuff in out/, whereas out-www/
directories are removed by 'make doc-clean'.

As a general rule, the result of unclean builds with stuff that remains
from an old directory and build structure is undefined.

Note that what I recommended is even more than
make doc-clean && make clean && make distclean
I meant you should look at every outdated directory
(Documentation/*user, input/lsr, input/new) and remove it after having
saved possibly valuable but Git-untracked stuff, so you're no longer
bogged with phantoms.

As an alternative, there is Graham's good old way

rm -rf * && git reset --hard

but as I have the insane habit to have untracked stuff in my working
tree, I don't use it often.

Best,
John