Re: Make broken on master [fixed]

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Make broken on master [fixed]
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 20:56:45 +0200

Le mercredi 29 juillet 2009 à 20:23 +0200, John Mandereau a écrit :
> This is exactly what the CHAIN_RULE trick in make/ly-*.make is supposed
> to do: it generates rules that ensure no several lilypond-book instances
> ever run simultaneously.

...and the generated rules chain must in particular specify that
notation.tely is processed after internals.texi has been generated; if
we added another rule to force it e.g.

$(outdir)/notation.texi: $(outdir)/internals.texi

there could likely be a circular dependency that make would ignore both
this particular rule and a part of the generated rules chain. That's why
we must make sure that notation should come before internals in
TEXI_FILES_FROM_TELY (the list of manuals that appear in the rules
chain), which I failed to achieve.  I think the problem is, the
evalutations of CHAIN_RULE (the horrible splitted line just after
CHAIN_RULE definition in make/ly-rules.make) is done before internals is
appended to TEXI_FILES_FROM_TELY.  I'm pushing a fix ASAP, I hope it
will be the One Right Fix (tm).

> I think I'm outsmarted by variable assigments and evaluations instead.

... and by the order of evaluation of the bunch of makefiles we have.

John