Re: renaming "vertical spacing inside systems" props

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: renaming "vertical spacing inside systems" props
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 11:33:02 +0100

Le 01/11/2010 00:09, Carl Sorensen disait :
On 10/31/10 3:00 PM, "Keith E OHara"<address@hidden>  wrote:

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 21:04:06 -0700,<address@hidden>  wrote:

Mark Polesky wrote Friday, October 29, 2010 11:27 PM

I've thought about it, and I think I slightly favor the term
"loose line" over "non-staff line"

[...]
  Also loose-staff-spacing sounds
too much like something that gives staves a loose spacing
(rather than a tight spacing) to anyone coming to this for the
first time.

Thanks for doing this, Mark.

It seems you want a one-word _noun_, to refer to either a line of lyrics and a
line of dynamics, in the limited context of its placement relative to the
neighboring staffs, and similar lines of lyrics/dynamics.

Simply 'line' ?

I think 'line' could easily be confused with a staff line.  I think perhaps
'nonstaff' would be better.  So we could have

nonstaff-staff-spacing

Remember the user cannot see why they are called "loose"  -- maybe indirectly
in the way these lines are placed in a second step after the staff lines, but
the docs about that second step do not use the word 'loose'.

But they might, once the terminology is finalized.

The visible difference from regular staffs is that lyrics/dynamics have an
affinity.  They are attached, in their spacing behavior, to one a parent
staff, or centered between two parent staffs, and negotiate with their
siblings for space.

This is a nice statement!  Thanks!

May I suggest my point of view, which includes some taste of translation:

I need in my score at least four "containers":
one line containing the staff (grid with a certain number of strokes),
one line containing the dynamics,
one line containing the lyrics, and
one line containing the figured bass.

The last three are not "loose" since their material is synchronized with the information displayed on the "staff". At this point, everybody knows what a staff is, and what are the others: an alignment of characters, or at least not a staff.

Then I would prefer the dichotomy staff vs. non-staff (being labeled nonstaff in grobs or properties).

This was the thought of the day.

Cheers,
Jean-Charles