Re: renaming "vertical spacing inside systems" props

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: renaming "vertical spacing inside systems" props
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 13:49:17 -0700 (PDT)

Renaming proposals, round 3 (listed below).

Trevor Daniels wrote:
> But is this really strictly top-down directional, or does
> this apply even when the nonstaff is below the staff?

Perhaps you missed the initial post?
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-10/msg00599.html

Mind you, the terms have already changed alot, but you get
the idea:

Trevor wrote:
> I wonder if affinity/nonaffinity are optimal.  Are they
> better than relatedstaff/unrelatedstaff?

Or target/opposite, reference/opposite, refstaff/oppstaff?

Actually, now I really like refstaff/oppstaff:
  nonstaff-refstaff-spacing
  nonstaff-nonstaff-spacing
  nonstaff-oppstaff-spacing

> So my preference is for [groupedstaff-groupedstaff].

Trevor, after some consideration, I'm afraid I'm not so much
in favor of groupedstaff-groupedstaff (or it's shorter
cousin).  They too strongly suggest the possibility of this:

  [last staff of group] - [first staff of next group]

Carl Sorensen wrote:
> I just thought of a c': within-group-staff-staff.  Longer,
> but might explain it more clearly.

It would be the longest, but I like the clarity.  How do you
feel about
  staffgrouped-staff-staff-spacing ?

It's the same length as
  within-group-staff-staff-spacing

but it has one less hyphen, which for some reason I consider
an advantage.  Although I might prefer within-group anyway.
Now, if we do use
  within-group-staff-staff-spacing

I thought we might as well shorten
  staffgroup-staff-spacing

  group-staff-spacing .

What do you think?
- Mark

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Renaming proposals, round 3:

CURRENT NAME       PROPOSED NAME
next-staff         staff-staff
default-next-staff default-staff-staff

inter-staff        nonstaff-refstaff
inter-loose-line   nonstaff-nonstaff
non-affinity       nonstaff-oppstaff

between-staff      within-group-staff-staff
after-last-staff   group-staff